Saturday, March 7, 2009

Day 7 - Breathing


7 days into the juice fast and I'm dreaming of food.  But for another 24 days I'll dream on, then feast on mashed cauliflower with a bit of butter, sea salt, and ground black pepper.

One thing there is an abundance of during a fast is time.  I've become acutely aware of the time I would normally spend shopping for food, preparing the food and eating it.    Lots of time on my hands now.  Time especially for my Buteyko practice.  And I've been reading and writing a lot more.  I'm devouring Ernest Hemingway's   A Moveable Feast, his sketches of life in Paris during the 1920's.  "I would stand and look out over the roofs of Paris and think, "Do not worry.  You have always written before and you will write now.  All you have to do is to write one true sentence.  Write the truest sentence that you know."  So finally I would write one true sentence and go from there.

I think that is the essence, the heart of Hemingway's art, his craft.  He didn't write long frilly sentences.   He wrote true simple declarative sentences.  And he strung declarative sentences together beautifully, creating character and story.

Don't you just love youtube.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35vrg7a64ny

According to fasting experts from day 3 to 7 the "body embraces the fast, the body takes a much-needed rest, focusing all of its energies on cleansing organs and the lungs are in the process of being healed."   This is very good news for those with COPD.  My experience today is some relief in the lungs, there's some mucous, but lessening.  My nasal passages are quite clear upon rising.  A few weeks ago, I'd cough and blow my nose for a half hour in the morning.  So there is some relief.  I am still experiencing breathlessness.  I'd like to eradicate this symptom, so I can walk the streets of Paris and go to the cafes Hemingway haunted.

When I walk those French streets, I'll be thinking of a Russian, Konstantin Pavolich Buteyko.  It will be his genius that will make my healing and travel possible. One day his discovery will be recognized by medical science as one of the greatest breakthroughs ever. Breathe less. http://www.buteyko.com/method/buteyko/index_buteyko.html  

No one in the world understands breath better than Dr. Buteyko's disciple, Christopher Drake. 

Why rewrite that which has already been written so eloquently.


No comments: