Friday, March 13, 2009

Day 14 - Buteyko Nose Best


One of the first things we learn when studying the Buteyko Method is to breathe through our nose at all times, the inhale, exhale, all night and all day.  The nose warms and filters the air before it enters the lungs.  

I attended a COPD symposium last month, there was a panel of three physicians specializing in lung care.  I was amazed at their ignorance.   A question was asked, "Should we breathe through our noses or mouth?"  The answer was  - it doesn't matter whether you breathe through your nose or mouth, it's a personal preference.  He totally mislead the 300 people in the audience.  The incorrect answer verified the lack of knowledge regarding the process of breathing in the field of medicine. 

Taping the mouth closed during sleep is such a simple and beautifully effective and ingenius method.   Breathing is one the simpilest yet complex functions of the body.  It's totally taken for granted until  one can't breathe well.  The British Columbia Lung Association has a slogan, WHEN YOU CAN'T BREATHE NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.  God, that's true, but I think you have to experience this to believe it.  

When one is healthy very little attention is paid to the breath, it's all but ignored.  
The nose is our most sensitive organ, enabling us to distinguish between more than 10,000 complex odors.  We do not seem to put this ability to any significant use.  Science now believes that smell play a factor in creating unconscious bonds between people.  Experiments reveal that babies can distinguish between their mothers and strangers at the age of six days using their sense of smell.  

So, my fasting journey continues.  I still feel strong, experiencing less symptoms than 2 weeks ago.  I'm not breathless all the time, but certainly can become so if I don't conserve my energy.  I'm less breathless, that's for sure.  My cough has all but disappeared, but there is still mucous being produced in my lungs.  The only way it's expelled now is when I'm on the slant board.   The mucous has a light green/yellow colour and sticky.  I'm hoping the mucous production will cease before I finish the fast. 

Post script.  I went to the "outhouse" again today.  A healthy deposit which continues to surprise me.   



No comments: