Monday, March 2, 2009

Day 2 - Another Glass Of Wine, Please


I started my two day transition to a total liquid diet.  Self examination and my history reveals that I am totally addicted to food and wine.  I have a predilection towards the Henry Vlll lifestyle, as I am very much the carnal beast.   I don't eat and drink from morning until night, but gluttony does take over during the evening hours.  I love mornings and I am lightly satisfied with coffee and a small nutritious offering.  Lunch is light too.  But ah, night, that's where my Henry takes center stage.  

I have a hot bath, then get into my of cozy pajamas, flannel in the winter, cotton in warmer weather.  Open a nice chilled bottle of Chardonnay and prepare the evening meal, which usually consists of red meat, leave the fat on please, or chicken, and some steamed or roasted vegetables.

So a juice fasts strips you of all your eating and drinking habits, and you are left with a stark day of sipping juices.  No cooking, no eating, no spirits.  Sixty percent of ones bodily energy is spent on digesting and eliminating food, so the energy level increases, so too do thoughts of food.

With the elimination of course food, the body rests, heals and purifies.  In longer fasts, the purification is cell deep.  The purification is known as autolysis or self-consumption.  In The Eating Gorilla Comes In Peace, it's stated, "The stress of fasting favours healthy or growing cells.  Defective cells do not function well under the stress; they die shortly and are eliminated.  Their usable nutrients are recycled to regenerate other cells, while their wastes are eliminated.  Thus, the body literally "eats" its own wastes and diseased or dying cells, and it fully eliminates whatever it cannot consume.

Autolysis is a spontaneous and innately wise, or life supporting,, as the healing of a wound.  For this reason one can fast for long periods without impairing one's health but rather enhancing it, and without damaging healthy cells but rather rejuvenating them and building new ones."  

So the first day of my transition will consist of an apple with cream for lunch, and some brown rice and green tea for dinner.  Air is the primary food, so I will continue with 4 sessions of my Buteyko practice and build up as to 5, and 6 during the course of my fast.   Noon of this day and I am optimistic as to the outcome.  I look forward to walking freely and checking out the glory of springtime.   There is a beautiful one line poem about spring, "I want to do to you what springtime does to the cherry trees." 

I want to feel vital and full of sap. 



  

No comments: